Indy Power: Shiitake Avocado Toast
Mushrooms add extra dimension to millennial favourite.
Shiitake Avocado Toast
Avocado toast is hardly revolutionary but I think it’s earned its place at the top of the breakfast chain. I don’t think I’ll ever tire of it, but I do like to change it up. This is one of my favourite ways – you can use regular mushrooms but shiitake have a gorgeous buttery taste that really makes a difference.
Dairy-free & vegan. Serves 2
2 cloves garlic
2 tbsp olive oil
200g shiitake mushrooms
Handful of chives
2 tbsp of tamari
2 ripe avocados
4 slices sourdough
Sea salt & pepper
1. Mince the garlic. Add the olive oil to a pan on medium heat.
2. Add the garlic and cook for about 2 minutes until fragrant.
3. Slice the mushrooms and chop the chives. Add the mushrooms to the pan and drizzle over the tamari.
4. Season with salt and pepper and cook for about 5 minutes, tossing often, until the mushrooms are tender and starting to brown. While they’re cooking, toast the bread.
5. When the mushrooms are ready, turn off the heat, sprinkle over the chives and toss well.
6. Mash the avocado on to the toast, drizzle over some olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper.
7. Pile the mushrooms on top and serve.
I admit that I have the millennial curse of sometimes not being able to resist Instagramming my avocado toast. Whenever I do I’m always asked about whether I make my own sourdough or where to buy it. I wish I could say I made my own, and I have experimented with it, but I’ve never really gotten the hang of it so I buy it in my local bakery. Any good bakery will have it, they do differ in taste and level of ‘sourness’ so find one near you that you like and buy it fresh. I get a loaf for the house about twice as week and it’s still hot when I buy it, it’s heaven. I also love that they slice it on the spot.
Source: Read Full Article