Kay Burley’s Sky News colleagues ‘leaked coronavirus rule-breaking celebrations info’
Kay Burley taken off air for six months confirms Sky News
Sky News presenter Kay Burley, 60, said she broke rules “inadvertently” while celebrating her 60th birthday in London with friends which included colleague Beth Rigby. According to the Daily Mail online, some Sky News production staff at the office in Osterley, West London shared details of her evening with paparazzi and created an encrypted email account to leak the story to the media.
They were said to have overheard Kay’s talking in advance about her 60th birthday plans and hired a photographer.
A source told MailOnline: “It was a case of boom, this could really bring her down.
“They thought, ‘If she gets caught, that would be the end for her’.”
The publication has shared an email highlighting Kay’s plans with pictures attached, said to be written by one of her colleagues.
We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.
Sky News had no comment when approached by Express.co.uk.
Pictures from Kay’s evening show her hugging her co-star Beth while the pair wore masks.
The duo were also seen standing outside a venue amongst a crowd.
They were joined by their co-stars news correspondent Inzamam Rashid and presenter Sam Washington.
The group then reportedly went on to visit a private restaurant, Folie, before four people went back to the host’s West London home.
Under Tier 2 restrictions, people cannot mix with other households indoors whether this is a private home or a public place.
Kay’s birthday celebrations first came to light on Westminster gossip website Guido Fawkes.
She later took to Twitter to apologise for rule-breaking.
Carol Vorderman sparks frenzy with artwork commissioned for birthday [REVEALED]
Zoe Ball inundated with support as she speaks out on family loss [INSTAGRAM]
Adam Boulton explains sharing tweet which blasted co-stars as ‘morons’ [TWITTER]
The presenter wrote: “On Saturday night I was enjoying my 60th birthday at a Covid compliant restaurant.
“I am embarrassed to say that later in the evening I inadvertently broke the rules.
“I had been waiting for a taxi at 11pm to get home. Desperate for the loo I briefly popped into another restaurant to spend a penny. I can only apologise.”
A spokesperson for Sky previously told the BBC: “We place the highest importance on complying with the government guidelines on Covid, and we expect all our people to comply.
“We were disappointed to learn that a small number of Sky News staff may have engaged in activity that breached the guidelines.
“Although this took place at a social event in personal time, we expect all our people to follow the rules that are in place for everyone.”
It is believed Sky News have launched an investigation to find out whether her party was “covid compliant”.
Kay is currently off screens due to a scheduled trip she had planned in Africa.
Source: Read Full Article