‘Incredibly dangerous’ common houseplants which have ‘hidden toxins’ – ‘best to avoid’

David Domoney provides advice on popular houseplants

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Some houseplants can not only be fatal for humans, but also pets if ingested, which is why it is often recommended to keep plants high up. B Well CBD have shared the most toxic houseplants, with over 700 that can be dangerous to humans and animals, including the common Daffodil.

According to B Well CBD, Daffodil bulbs can be highly toxic and should be kept out of reach of any children or pets for those planning on planting them this spring.

Other plants, such as the Spider Plant, are not only dangerous, but “mild hallucinogenic” for cats.

The experts said: “Indoor houseplants can have so many benefits and with more people working from home, houseplant sales are booming.

“But not everyone is aware that some plants can be incredibly toxic. Not just for pets, but for young children as well who might not know any better.

“It might come as a surprise to many when they think about how lovely the plants in their home look. But some of them also have hidden toxins that are best to avoid in a home with pets or children.”

The Oleander is an evergreen shrub that produces beautiful funnel-shaped blooms.

However, it is ranked as the number one most toxic plant for humans and pets.

The experts explained: “It might look delicate and innocent, but even ingesting honey from its nectar can produce symptoms. Death in adults has been reported from eating one small leaf and children are more susceptible.”

DON’T MISS:
‘Common mistake’ Britons make when organising their fridge [EXPERT]
Orchids: Use ‘instinct’ rather than a watering ‘routine’ [COMMENT]
UK property for sale ‘woefully short’ and ‘driving prices skyward’ [EXPLAINER]

Symptoms in humans include dizziness and tremors while animals may experience vomiting and arrhythmia. 

The Caladium houseplant, also known as the Elephant’s Ear, comes in a variety of colours and sizes.

Although it can produce bright colours, all parts of the plant are considered to be toxic to humans and animals.

B Well CBD explained that symptoms in humans include swelling of the mouth, tongue, lips and throat as well as difficulty breathing.

Animals may experience nausea, vomiting, head shaking and difficulty breathing.

Another houseplant which can be dangerous in large quantities is the Pothos plant, more commonly known as Devil’s Ivy.

Known for being one of the best plants to remove impurities from the air, it can be poisonous in large quantities.

Other common indoor plants which can also be dangerous include the Peace Lily and Snake Plant.

The experts said: “Surprisingly, the Peace Lily is not a member of the Lilaceae family and therefore not a true lily. But it can be poisonous. Whilst it does make a great air purifier and is ideal for apartments or rooms with little light, they can cause death if ingested by either humans or animals.”

Symptoms include burning and swelling of lips, mouth and tongue, vomiting and nausea.

Cat and dog symptoms have been recorded as burning mouth, dehydration, lack of appetite and vomiting.

The Snake Plant, also known as the Mother-in-Law’s Tongue, is another common plant found in people’s homes because it is incredibly easy to look after.

Often named the “unkillable” plant, the toxicity level is low for humans, producing short-lasting symptoms.

However, in cats and dogs, it can cause excessive salivation, pain, nausea and vomiting.

Houseplant owners should also be careful of the Philodendron, Dieffenbachia and the Arrowhead, all popular plants in the UK.

Source: Read Full Article