Boy with allergies died after dad mistakenly gave him chocolate containing dairy

An 11-year-old boy with a dairy allergy died after his father mistakenly gave him a chocolate bar with milk in it, an inquest heard.

Raffi Pownall started vomiting after eating four chunks of the Morrisons chocolate, which dad Thomas Pownall thought was part of the store's ‘Free From’ range.

After the youngster became ill, Mr Pownall looked at the chocolate bar label again and discovered it was actually a gluten-free product containing milk powder.

He tried to help his son by giving him his inhaler and EpiPen before calling for an ambulance, Blackburn Coroner's Court heard today.

Raffi was rushed from his home in Burnley, Lancashire, to Royal Blackburn Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 5.43pm on June 8 this year.

A post-mortem examination found Raffi died from anaphylaxis, which is a severe and potentially life-threatening reaction to a trigger such as an allergy.

The court heard Mr Pownall "genuinely" believed the bar was free from dairy and that he "did everything he could" to save his son.

Coroner Richard Taylor, recording a conclusion of accidental death, gave an account of what happened on June 8.

He said: “His (Raffi's) father went to have a look at the chocolate bar again and checked the ingredients and found that it wasn’t in fact free from dairy, but contained milk powder as it was a gluten-free bar.

“He explained that Raffi had previously vomited on occasions when he’d drank milk and then recovered.

Source: Read Full Article