Can men get thrush? | The Sun

IT'S an uncomfortable fungal infection that can affect the genital areas – but also other parts of the skin too.

Here's what thrush looks like and how to make it go away.

Can men get thrush?

Yes, they can.

Thrush is a common yeast infection that affects both sexes.

It is not classed as a sexually transmitted infection (STI).

Although it causes discomfort, it is usually harmless – but it can keep coming back if not treated correctly.

Read more in men’s health

From prostate concerns to long Covid – Dr Jeff answers your health questions

The 3-step plan to boost your manhood – according to the NHS

What are the symptoms of thrush?

The symptoms of thrush in men include:

  • irritation, burning and redness around the head of the penis and under the foreskin
  • a white discharge (like cottage cheese)
  • an unpleasant smell
  • difficulty pulling back the foreskin

In other areas of the body, such as armpits, groin and between the fingers, thrush may appear as a red, itchy or painful rash.

It may scale over with white or yellow discharge but might not be so obvious on darker skin.

Sometimes it causes no symptoms at all.

How to treat thrush

There are different ways men can treat thrush if they experience symptoms.

One option is to visit a chemist who might advise using an antifungal medicine.

A pharmacist will be able to go through which treatment will be best suited for you.

If you're a bit embarrassed, ask to speak in a private area, the NHS advises.

You shouldn't use antifungal cream more than twice in a six month period without consulting a medical officer.

Sexual health clinics are happy to see patients who might be experiencing thrush symptoms.

Many offer a walk-in service so you don't need to worry about making an appointment.

They often receive results faster than GP surgeries but you could visit your doctor if you are able to.

How to recover from thrush

The best way to recover from thrush is first by confirming that is what you are experiencing and then seeking a treatment plan.

You should go to a GP or sexual health clinic if you are experiencing symptoms for the first time.

If it's recurring, you might need to use the treatment for a longer amount of time to stop it coming back.

Read More on The Sun

Vet technician reveals the quietest dog breeds that don’t bark all the time

Gemma Collins shows off curves in strapless swimsuit on holiday with Rami

Once you have a treatment plan from a GP surgery, sexual health clinic or medical professional, follow their instructions.

Be sure to follow what they say carefully for the best chance of it not only going away quickly, but to avoid it coming back.

    Source: Read Full Article