Dad died holding eight-month-old baby son in his arms after cocaine binge
A dad died falling asleep cuddling his baby son after a 12-hour drink and drug binge, an inquest heard.
Michael Hollingworth, 42, was found "lying lifeless" in Cleethorpes, near Grimsby, by his ex-girlfriend after a night out that started at 6pm.
Michael, a top local DJ, had gone back to his ex’s house after spending a night with her partner, Robert Robinson, and a friend.
He dozed off cuddling his eight-month-old baby Sonnie before he was found unresponsive an hour later, Grimsby Live reports.
"He was telling me how he loved me, how he loved his kids. He started dozing off to sleep," his grief-stricken girlfriend Hollie Bridgewater told the hearing.
"I heard him snoring , but he snored anyway. I tried to wake him up but he wouldn’t.
"He was a deep sleeper and I just assumed he was in a deep sleep."
An hour later she found him unresponsive and shouted for help from Michael’s ex Lashana Nottingham, who was sleeping in the next door bedroom with Robert.
"Mike was just laid there lifeless," Robert told the court. "Hollie was in shock. I couldn’t believe what was happening."
The two couples had spent the night at Lashana’s house in a bid to be "civil" after a series of disagreements. But it sadly ended in tragedy.
The court heard Michael had taken cocaine throughout the night, drank a litre of straight vodka and took diazepam tablets as the night was drawing to an end.
Robert said he had come and gone to the house three times throughout the night and "seemed in a good mood".
He said: "He didn’t seem overly intoxicated. He seemed his usual self."
Michael was obsessed with music, performing on the decks in local clubs as DJ Giddy and living a "party lifestyle" fuelled by drugs and his favourite drink, vodka.
Hollie, who struck up a relationship after Michael broke his leg in a club, said he drank "all the time, every night" and ignored her warnings to stop.
Her boyfriend’s behaviour, she said, had become erratic and Michael had tried to take his own life in the months before his death.
A post mortem found lethal levels of cocaine in Michael’s system, alongside "low concentrations" of morphine, codeine, fentanyl and diazapem.
Prolonged cocaine use had already taken its toll on his body, causing damage to his heart, the hearing was told.
Humberside Police found a used fentanyl patch by the side of his bed and and packets of diazepam in his pocket, but "nothing to show deliberate act"
Acting senior coroner Mark Kendall concluded: "There’s nothing in the evidence to suggest to me that he had a suicidal intent and therefore I conclude that the cocaine level was unintended.
"My conclusion is that his death was drug related as the unintended result of taking cocaine."
A well-known face of Cleethorpes’ and Grimsby’s night life, Mike’s sudden death prompted an outpouring of sorrow , with Hollie receiving more than 700 messages of condolences.
Speaking to Grimsby Live in October she said: ""It breaks my heart more than anything because Sonnie is so tiny.
"He’s going to miss Sonnie’s first birthday, his first Christmas. That’s heartbreaking more than anything.
"But he will always be remembered. We will never forget him."
Top news stories from Mirror Online
Source: Read Full Article