Man who had kebab thrown in face by thug who ran off breaks silence
A man who had a kebab thrown in his face has broken his silence – and says he wants to press charges.
Mark Pryor was out in Derby in the early hours of Sunday December 9 when a group of youths approached him.
He says they offered him £10 if he would let them throw the food in his face.
The 44-year-old told Derbyshire Live that the box full of food was suddenly flung into his face and the culprits ran away.
Footage of what took place went viral on social media and then became international news, covered by media as far away as Colombia and New Zealand.
Mark said that it was “out of order” and that he was "in shock" when it happened.
He said: “When they asked me, I was just laughing because I thought it was a joke.
“Then I just remember having a box full of food in my face. They just ran off. I just stood there and didn’t really know why they did it.
“I know that people are out and they like to have a drink, but it just seemed wrong.
“I went to my friend and I just asked if I had any food on my head or anything on my face. I’ve had a sore eye after it happened. I think there must have been some chili or something that went inside it”.
After the story was published Mr Pryor said he had people coming up to him in the street, offering him money and scratch cards.
But the 44-year-old says that, despite being homeless many times in the past, he is currently living in a Derby flat and has been for eight years.
He added: “I don’t want people to think I’m taking food or money and acting like I’m homeless because I’m not”.
Mr Pryor says that he “lives day by day” and struggles to pay for basic things like food and electricity despite receiving benefits.
The recovering alcoholic admits that he has begged for money in the past, but only does it “occasionally” if times are tough. Tomorrow (Wednesday) is Mark’s birthday, but has said that he will treat it "just like a normal day".
He also revealed that, this time last year, he was “nearly dead” after suffering from cirrhosis of the liver before being hospitalised for three months.
The serious condition weakened him, causing him to be unable to work and he says he suffers regularly with "confusion".
Mark revealed that Derbyshire police contacted him at his home address and he had told them he wanted to press charges.
He said: “Police asked if they wanted to do something about it and I have. I don’t want it happening to anyone else.
“I just want an easy life. I struggle and this was out of order”.
Adam Thorpe, 29, from Chaddesden, previously told Derbyshire Live that he was the one who threw the box full of food in Mark’s face.
He said that he “felt so bad” for what he had done and “spent ages” trying to find Mark after the incident.
Mr Thorpe previously said: "I looked all around the centre of Derby trying to find him, but I couldn’t."
He added: "What I did was bang out of order."
A spokesperson from Derbyshire police confirmed that an investigation is ongoing.
Top news stories from Mirror Online
Source: Read Full Article